Assignment Today: Answer questions 1 -4 on Chapter 5.
1. List what brings you contentment:
- Family members getting along
- Restful sleep
- Keeping up on chores
- Clean home
- Quiet time
2. List what steals your contentment and brings anxiety, stress and worry:
- Kids arguing
- Husband and son arguing
- Having way too much to do
- Being on the go constantly
- Not sleeping well
- Being forgetful
- Feeling lonely
- Not getting anything done
- Being tired
- My son’s housing/job issues
3. What do you spend the most time worrying about.
- Getting things accomplished around the house
- Family relationships and arguments
3a. Which is under your control in the above answer? ~ Getting things accomplished around the house.
3b. Which is not in your control in the above answer? ~ Family relationships and arguments.
4. Read Philippians 4:6-7. This passage tells us not to worry but to pray about everything. Worrying is self-centered, counter-productive and keeps our eyes on our circumstances. Prayer is God-centered.
4a. When you honestly examine your heart, do you find that you worry more or pray more?
- I have to say that I probably pray more now; a year ago I would have said worried more.
4b. Take one or more of the items listed in question 2; commit to live out Philippians 4:6-7 by giving them over to God. ~ I picked 3.
4c. Write out a simple prayer, giving these worries and anxieties to God:
- Dear LORD I thank You that You are in control of my life. I thank You for teaching me how to let go and to release my worries and anxieties in my life. I release to You my worries and constant dread/anxiety over the family relationships that are full of arguing and stubbornness. My worry over M. never being able to move out and my anxiety about not getting enough sleep. I give this to You LORD. I know I have no control over any of these issues and that Your will shall be done. I thank You for Your help and care in these areas of my life. I trust in Your plan and thank You for the peace I have. In Jesus’ name. Amen.