Today begins my Made to Crave journey through Melissa Taylor’s Online Bible Study. Chapter 1 gets right to the heart of the matter ~ Craving!
- We crave what we eat (pg 19)
- Our craving was never supposed to be food or other things people find themselves consumed by (pg 20)
- Dictionary.com defines craving as something you long for, want greatly, desire eagerly and beg for (pg 20)
What do I crave? I could list all the “right” answers and feel good about myself or I can get the most out of this journey and step back, take a hard look at what my daily life says I crave. To do that, I need to understand “What’s Really Going on Here.”
I was made to crave – to crave God but satan wants to replace my God craving with other things so I move further and further away from God. Satan knows my weaknesses, he knows exactly what works, what lures me away from God and so he attacks easily. If satan knows my weaknesses and how to attack me, shouldn’t I know them as well? Not knowing leaves me wide open, leaves me defenseless and vulnerable.
In medieval times castles were protected from invasion not by one stone wall but by layers of protection: moats, drawbridges, curtain walls, gatehouses, baileys and then the heart of the castle ~ the keep! Most attacks never got to the keep (unless there were traitors) because the defenses were so strong that the enemy either gave up or lost too many men to continue.
This is how I need to be protected. My moats, drawbridges, curtain walls, gatehouses and baileys need to protect my heart. My layer of protection:
- Moat = surrounding myself with God’s Word. Reading from Scripture daily.
- Drawbridge = shutting myself away from the world and spending time with Him.
- Curtain Wall = “in nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God”
- Gatehouse = focusing on Him above all else.
- Bailey = Remembering Jesus’ example in the desert. Jesus, without hesitation, quoted Scripture that refuted satan’s temptation.
- And my Keep = My heart that is saturated in Truth.
What are the truths I have discovered about my cravings? I realize I let focus on my circumstance not the truth, I let my mind give me every excuse to “start tomorrow”, I allow myself to be defeated because I don’t fight back.